FOUNDATIONS OF CRITICAL MEDIA AND INFORMATION STUDIES
A New Book by Christian Fuchs
Foundations of Critical Media and Information Studies. New York: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-58881-2. 384 pages. Rouledge Advances in Sociology No. 52, 2011
Available from the same author: “Internet and Society: Social Theory in the Information Age” (Paperback 2011) http://fuchs.uti.at/books/internet-society/
Foundations of Critical Media and Information Studies lays down foundations for the analysis of media, information, and information technology in 21st century information society, as well as introducing the theoretical and empirical tools necessary for the critical study of media and the information society.
Reasons for reading this book:
* To find out more about critical theory today: The book updates critical theory for 21st century information society.
* To acquire tools for critical analyses: The book introduces methodological and theoretical tools for studying media, information technology, and the information society in a critical way.
* To read more about a critical theory of media and the information society: The book explains the foundations of a critical theory of media, information, information technology, and the information society.
* To find out more about how power structures frame the media and the Internet: The book provides a power structure analysis of the media and the Internet.
* To engage with alternative media and the alternative Internet: The book identifies alternative potentials of the media, culture, and the Internet.
PART I: Theory
2 Critical theory today
3 Critical media and information studies
4 Marx and critical media and information studies
PART II: Case studies
5 The media and information economy and the new imperialism
6 The new crisis of capitalism and the role of the media and information economy
7 Participatory web 2.0 as ideology
PART III Alternatives
8 Alternative media as critical media
Professor Christian Fuchs
Chair in Media and Communication Studies
Department of Informatics and Media
751 20 Uppsala
Tel +46 (0) 18 471 1019
NetPolitics Blog: http://fuchs.uti.at/blog
Editor of tripleC: http://www.triple-c.at
Book “Foundations of Critical Media and Information Studies” (Routledge 2011)
Book “Internet and Society” (Paperback, Routledge 2010)
Posted here by Glenn Rikowski
The Flow of Ideas: http://www.flowideas.co.uk
MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/glennrikowski
The Ockress: http://www.theockress.com
Rikowski Point: http://rikowskipoint.blogspot.com
Glenn Rikowski on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/glenn.rikowski